CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fun with Felt!

In 2009 when I found out I was pregnant with a girl, I was soooooooo excited!!! I had spent 5 years with a little boy, digging in the dirt, watching him eat his own boogers, and watching episode after episode of Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder.

Needless to say I was certainly ready to girl it up for my daughter's nursery! I was on a tight budget, so I figured I would decorate with felt. Felt is slowly becoming one of my ultimate faves, it is super super cheap, and you can get it by the yard at the fabric store or by the square at places like Wal-Mart. And you don't always have to use a sewing machine or even sew at all, it works really well with craft glue.

The supplies I used for this project:

1) Felt by the yard (brown and green)
2) Felt squares in bright colors
3) Scissors
4) Tacky Glue
5) Pipe Cleaners
6) Double sided foam tape - to adhere to the wall
Optional:
Sewing Machine (only for the tree below, not required)
Hand-sewing needles and thread

My inspiration was a piece of scrapbook paper I found while taking a trip to Michael's (you will see the picture below), and I just decided to create some simple shapes with felt to adorn her walls:

A little blue bird

I made the tree on my sewing machine, used polyester filling, and then hand -sewed the flowers onto the tree. In addition to the two little bluebirds I made two butterflies.


My Mom even got in on the crafty-ness and created some custom art for my daughter's room!


And here is the inspiration, a piece of scrapbook paper by Imaginisce called Twitterpated Hey Foxy.

So if you have children, felt is an easy and fun way to create something custom to decorate their walls. You can literally create whatever your mind can imagine, and if you totally screw up, you won't be throwing away a small fortune :)












No comments:

Post a Comment